In a stroke of genius, Frank had chosen Pierce to be the new police mascot
in order to make the public less afraid of the police. They were used to
seeing big German Shepherds as dogs used in police work, but never a dog
What was so genius is that no one suspected Pierce was actually a formidable secret asset to the department. For instance:
- There were the ears permanently cocked and ready to eavesdrop on criminal conversations.
- There were the wide-set bulging eyes that never missed a movement and could look left and right at the same time.
- There were the protruding bottom teeth, excellent for picking locks.
- There was the stubble on the chin, the roly-poly neck, and the pork-pie hat. Actually, they had no special qualities other than to disarm the public.
- But the flat feet were an absolute necessity for any good detective and that curly-q tail of Pierce’s could snake through even the smallest hole with a remote camera.